It’s Earth Week! And like many of us, you may be watching all of the Earth Day messaging fill your inbox and airwaves and wonder, are we getting any closer to a better future?
We believe we are—and to show it, this year we’ve teamed up on Instagram with Redford Center-supported filmmaker, Faith Briggs Rose and her collaborator Addie Thompson, co-hosts of The Trail Ahead, to get inspired by changemakers who live, breathe, and work on solutions at the intersection of race, environment, history, culture, and the outdoors.
The Trail Ahead is a podcast and media series brought to us by the filmmakers behind “This Land,” a short film that was fiscally sponsored by The Redford Center in 2018. The podcast grew out of the ongoing conversations around the film—conversations that are urgent and essential to creating an inclusive outdoor community ready to take better care of our planet and each other.
You don’t have to be on Instagram to enjoy some of our favorite excerpts from episodes of The Trail Ahead. Click here to watch our special collection of ten one-minute, bite-sized videos to inspire you this Earth Day.
We hope you get to know these voices, feel moved to action by their stories, and listen to the full episodes. The ten incredible guests and perspectives include:
- Brooklyn Bell: Mountain biking, creating space, and reclaiming legacy
- José González: Discovering the multitudes of you
- Dr. Rae Wynn Grant: Racism, role models, and bears (oh,my!)
- Laura Edmonson: Rest, our right relationship with nature, and community care
- Dr. Lydia Jennings: Running, soil, and sovereignty
- Erin McGrady: Taking up space, representation, and love
- Dr. Peyton Thomas: Hitting the trails, climate advocacy, and honing your personal narrative
- Carolyn Finney: Freedom, friction, and the change train
- Molly Sugar: Cycling, creating space, and inclusive outdoors
- Whitney Clapper: Environmental marketing, speaking your truth, and wrangling unicorns
Earth Day is Saturday. Join us, and boost your environmental optimism by spending ten minutes with these ten amazing changemakers. You’ll be glad you did.